Star Hotel, formerly Phoenix Hotel 1854 Ė

160 Clarendon Street, corner Market Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2F C12

 

 

Star Hotel, 2004

 

One of four hotels built on allotments purchased in the first land sales in Emerald Hill in 1852, the Phoenix, a ten-room brick hotel with a slate roof, was first licensed by Thomas Dollard in 1854.His wifeís funeral proceeded from the hotel on 9 June 1859.There are reports that the Phoenix was used as the headquarters of Emerald Hillís first local paper, the Weekly Times. The Phoenix was renamed Star Hotel in 1862 by Christian Henry Heier, who had previously been a publican of the Star Hotel in Swanston Street. Architects WH Ellerker & Co called for tenders for alterations in 1871. The hotel was auctioned on 1 June 1874.It was rebuilt in 1877 by Thomas Cowen, formerly of the Market Hotel.During the early 1990s, the Star Hotel converted to a nightclub and today is considered one of Melbourneís premiere live entertainment venues featuring Australiaís leading cover bands, hottest DJs and special events.

 

 

 

PDF Version