Southern Cross Hotel 1870 -

78 Cecil Street, corner Market Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2F B12

 

Southern Cross Hotel, c.1920ís

 

.

Southern Cross Hotel, 2004

 

Originally, at 28 Cecil Street, Edward Broderick first licensed the Southern Cross Hotel in 1870.He built the hotel in the same year, described as a brick bar with eleven rooms, on the site he had purchased in 1869. Broderick held the license until Davis Stroud took over in 1874

Text Box: \During the inter-war period, the hotel was known briefly as Reganís, while its licensee was Henry James Regan, formerly of the Union Hotel in Moray Street. A two-storeyed Italianate hotel, it is architecturally notable for its rich decorative elements. The hotel is physically close to its original state, although the original hawthorn brick has been painted over.Similarly, its social character has remained largely unchanged.Once popular amongst painters and dockers, the Southern Cross has retained its reputation as a traditional drinkersí pub for the locals.The prices for drinks have been maintained at the lowest level in South Melbourne.A favourite hotel of the late South Melbourne footballer Bob Pratt, a record-holding goalkeeper, the pub has hosted many well-known sportsmen.The current management anticipates an increase in patronage, with definite pride in maintaining the traditions of the local pub. This is also reflected in the intention to carry out some interior renovations, without affecting the structure of the original building.

 

 

 

PDF Version