Palace Hotel, formerly Meagher’s Hotel, Partner’s Tavern, Pickled Pig Hotel, and Port Melbourne Hotel 1874 -

505-507 City Rd, corner Pickles Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2J J2



Palace Hotel, 2004


Tenders for the erection of this hotel for James Meagher resulted in the appointment of architect Mr M Hennessy in April 1874.  Hennessy had designed the Freers Family (now Bell’s) Hotel and the Maori Chief Hotel, both in Moray Street. John Toohey became Meagher’s Family Hotel’s first publican on 19 September 1874; its former address was at 136 Sandridge Road.  The two storeyed-rendered building located on an obtuse angle at the junction of City Road and Pickles Street was altered at ground floor level with windows replaced and façade clad in bricks. While it had a reputation as a rough wharfies’ hotel, it has since been beautifully renovated in 2002 by its current management, and is notable in the area for its quality food and wine.



PDF Version