New London Hotel, formerly Bendigo Hotel 1870 1908

380 Coventry Street, corner Coventry Place, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K A2

Henry L Allen first licensed a two-storey brick house with ten rooms, the Bendigo Hotel, in 1870. Elizabeth Andrews, whose application for the license was first opposed yet ultimately granted, changed its name to the New London Hotel in 1872. In 1884, owner F Harmon called for tenders for additions to the hotel. It was amongst thirteen hotels in South Melbourne that were de-licensed in 1908 and it closed on 31 December of that year. In 2003, now a private residence, all the original features except for a chimney appear to have been removed.

 

PDF Version