Nelson Hotel 1867 - 1970

520 City Road, corner Montague Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2J K2



Former Nelson Hotel, 2004



The Nelson Hotel was first licensed to Patrick Woolf in 1867. Its second publican Frederick Huffer was there only a year before his funeral took place from the Nelson on 11 December 1869. The hotel was extended and upgraded in 1927 for then owner A Carroll to the designs of Harry R Johnson, architect (1892-1954), as established by the date on the corner face. The Nelson operated as a hotel until its license lapsed on 31 December 1970.  After the building was upgraded, it was converted to Miguel’s BYO Restaurant. In 2003, it is the site of the Bengal Tiger Indian Restaurant.  The name ‘Nelson’ is still evident on the façade of the building.



PDF Version