Myrtle Hotel 1854 - 1920

280 Coventry Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K C1

The first licensee of the Myrtle Hotel was John Page in 1854. Page reportedly gave prize money that had been donated by Governor Sir Charles Hotham to race winners in October 1855, in an attempt to lure them away from John O’Brien’s Queen’s Arms Hotel. Architect Alfred Louis Smith designed additions to the hotel in 1859. In 1883, architects Wilson and Beswicke designed further brick additions. The Myrtle was a popular meeting spot for societies and clubs before being displaced by the Golden Gate, the Myrtle was de-licensed on 31 December 1920.


PDF Version