Montague Hotel 1883 -

355 Park Street, corner Montague Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K A4



Montague Hotel, 2002

The Montague Hotel was named for its original address, 92 Montague Street. The first meeting of the South Melbourne Gymnastics Club was held at the Montague in April 1883. The hotel was extensively modernised in1927 for the owner Mrs M E Mooney by the architect Harry R Johnson (1892-1954).  Long-time punter and South Melbourne identity Robert Stephenson still remembers publican ‘Ma’ Corley sitting with a bucket behind the counter, so disinclined was she to leave her post lest someone steal her beer!

An attempt to make the hotel exclusive only to members with keys in the 1990s was unsuccessful. The Annual General Meeting of the Town and Country Planning Association was held at the hotel on 12 March 2002.



PDF Version