Marine Hotel, formerly Halfway House Hotel, Lincolnshire Arms Hotel, Lincolnshire Hotel, Hotel de Commerce, Commercial Hotel and Marine Hotel 1858 -

235 York Street, corner Morris Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K A2



Former Marine Hotel, 2004

Originally named the Marine Hotel by publican Joseph Glaysher in 1858, this hotel was variously known as the Halfway House Hotel, the Lincolnshire Arms, the Lincolnshire, Hotel de Commerce, and the Commercial Hotel before returning to its original name in 1870.  Described as a building with eleven rooms, with an eighteen-inch thick assembly room wall, architect M Hennessy called for tenders for carpentry work to be done to the Marine in 1870. On 23 February that year, Mary Ann Truckle was charged with stealing glasses from the hotel.  Demolished by 1892, a new building, designed by architects Sydney Smith and Ogg, was erected in the same year.  A small, red brick hotel, it was deprived of its licence on 16 August 1920 and closed at the end of the year.  The building, a residential block in 2003, has remained mostly intact and has retained the sign ‘Marine Hotel’ on its façade.



PDF Version