Junction Hotel, later Grand Junction Hotel 1853 – 1973
1-3 High Street (now known as St Kilda Road) and corner of Barkly Streets,
MEL: 58 B8
St Kilda Junction with the
Grand Junction Hotel, pre-1914 postcard
One of the earliest hotels in St Kilda, the
Junction was originally built of brick and stone, and consisted of twenty
stalls in its stables, as well as a harness and ostler’s room.Its first licensee was Michael O’Shea between
1853 and 1862.Architect Joseph R Burns
called for tenders for alterations and additions in 1854.
The St Kilda Municipal
Council, under the presidency of Benjamin Cowderoy,
held its first meeting in a room beside the Junction Hotel on 9March 1857. Connected to
the hotel was a concert room, which was frequently hired by both professional
and amateur entertainers.
George Sparrow, the licensee from 1862, changed its name to the
Grand Junction before
transferring to Sparrow’s Hotel on the corner of Fitzroy and Barkly Streets in
1864. William Johnston Sugden was the licensee
between 1864 and 1869.Anthony William
Wright, son of the late William Wright of Deep Creek, Bulla, was buried from
the Junction Hotel on 1 December 1866. Louisa Sugden, the publican’s wife was buried from there on 29 December 1868.Joseph Hyndman, who held the license from
1869, was sued by his wife Martha for maintenance and assault and was forced to
pay her 25/- a week and a 40/- fine. James Wood redesigned the hotel in 1888.In 1917, then publican, N Splatt requested a rate rebate
because of the post-war decline in business.
By 1929, architects Gillespie and Latimer had
designed an additional saloon bar on Barkly Street and a bottle
shop and lounge on High Street. An application was made that year to the
council for further renovations including the addition of a sign on the front
of the building for advertising space and a building erected on an adjoining
vacant block of land.
Junction was famous for always flying the St Kilda
flag high when the St Kilda football team won and at
half-mast when it lost.
The hotel was ultimately demolished in 1973 following a 1970 decision
to widen High Street, between the Junction and Carlisle Street.The bulldozers that ran through its main bar,
once lined with photos of local sporting heroes, ended an era in St Kilda.
Bird's Eye View from Tower of Junction Hotel, c.1890