Exchange Hotel, formerly Occidental Hotel 1871 - 1908

Moray Street, corner Chessell Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2F D11

William John Cook originally licensed the Occidental Hotel in 1871. In 1876, Michael Doyle renamed it the Exchange Hotel. Owned for many years by David Boyd, the Exchange was a two-storey wooden building, the walls of which were out of plumb. The flooring was below the footpath. Most of the rooms were poorly furnished, and the plaster was falling. There were no boarders and no meals served to the public. As a result, it was de-licensed on 31 December 1908.

PDF Version