Emerald Hotel, formerly A1 Hills Hotel, No1 Hotel, and Hills Hotel 1866 -

415 Clarendon Street, corner Raglan Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K D4

A vacant allotment in 1865 became the site for James Hill’s A1 Hills Hotel, which opened on 28 February 1866.  Although remaining within control of the Hill family until 1895, its name changed to No1 Hotel and then Hill’s Hotel until 1957, when it became known as the Emerald Hotel, a name that it has retained until the present day. In 1999, the Emerald Hotel won both the 3AW De Bortoli Wines Pub of the Year and Pub of the Decade Awards.  The Herald Sun of December that year marvelled that ‘A pub with no pool table, jukebox or poker machines has been named hotel of the decade’ declaring that ‘The beer is cold and the service is fantastic…just like a country pub in the city’.  The Emerald is considered a real family hotel, which is very oriented to horse racing.



Emerald Hotel, 1981



Emerald Hotel, 2004



PDF Version