Cross Keys Hotel 1872 - 1913

155 Clarendon Street, corner Chessell Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2F C11


One of at least four buildings in Clarendon Street owned by South Melbourne undertaker Joseph Hill, the Cross Keys Hotel was made of brick and wood, and comprised a brick bar and nine rooms. The hotel’s first licensee was Thomas S Davis in 1872 who occupied the building until 1888, the peak of the economic boom. Double storey, the façade has minimal embellishment.  The Cross Keys was closed on 31 December 1913.  In 2003, it was the site of Southbank Lighting Architectural Lighting Supply and Design Studio, which has retained the original timber-framed Victorian windows. The slate roof and moulded render chimney have also remained intact




PDF Version