Criterion Hotel, formerly Walsh Hotel and Criterion Hotel 1873 - 1920

189 Clarendon Street, corner Ross Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2F C12



An attempt by Henry Johnston in June 1873 to acquire a license for a house that had belonged to William H Johnston in 1872 was unsuccessful, yet in September 1873, a license was granted to Frank Johnston for the same premises.  After several publicans, Bridget Walsh became licensee of the Criterion in 1879 and changed the name to the Walsh Hotel, a name that only lasted until the license was transferred from Michael Walsh to Michael Power in 1890, after which its original title returned.  The Criterion was closed on 31 December 1920.  In 2003, it is the site of Clarendon Café and Sandwich Bar.




PDF Version