Clarendon Hotel 1858 - 1917

Clarendon Hotel 1858 - 1917
241-243 Clarendon Street, corner Coventry Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K D1



Facade of the former Clarendon Hotel, 2004


The Clarendon Hotel was established by Asher Hann, a relative of Ferdinand B Hann, a successful tenderer who was a partner in a chain of butcher shops, in 1858, with a butcher’s shop in Coventry Street, near the Clarendon Street corner.

An auction on 30 September 1865 reveals that the hotel comprised of twelve rooms, a bar, wine stores and a large brick tank. In 1866, under the ownership of PJ Martin, a fire in the billiard room caused slight damage. The Clarendon Hotel was de-licensed on 2 July 1917.  In 2003, the block comprises Optus World, alterations and key cutting shop called House of Services and Golden Thimble, and a vacant shop.



PDF Version