Australian Hotel, formerly Volunteer Arms Hotel 1861 - 1917

268 Montague Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K A4

Timothy Clifford first licensed the Volunteer Arms Hotel in 1861. Clifford, who would later own a restaurant in Healesville, was murdered by Thomas Harney on 30 November 1865. In June 1868, then-licensee Thomas McInerney received a summons for allowing William Orr, who was not licensed, to be the keeper of the Volunteer Arms, and his license was ultimately revoked. The Volunteer Arms was closed in 1873 and reopened in 1874 as the Australian. It was eventually de-licensed on 2 July 1917.


PDF Version