Yarra Bank Hotel 1871 - 1913

Formerly Yarra Bank Rd, corner Normanby Road, South Melbourne; now part of the Crown Casino complex
MEL: 2F C8


A view of Riverside South, with the Yarra Bank Hotel at rear centre-left, 1870-76


R J Hilliard founded the Yarra Bank Hotel in 1871. Architects Hennessy and Deakin designed extensive alterations including plumbing and plastering in 1877. On 18 April 1913, the South Melbourne Council declared notice of de-licensing and the Yarra Bank was due to close at the end of that year; however, fire destroyed the hotel near the date of its closing.

PDF Version