Whittington Hotel, formerly Marco Polo Hotel, Hokitika Hotel, Keenís Family Hotel and Earl of Hopetoun Hotel 1854 - 1913

285 Grant Street, corner Grant Place, South Melbourne
MEL 2F H1

One of four hotels built on allotments purchased in the first land sales in Emerald Hill in 1852, and named the Marco Polo after the first wooden vessel to make a quick passage to Australia. First licensed by John McBean in 1854, the hotel was sold in 1865 by owner John Bourke to William Tracey. The Marco Polo was popular amongst sportsmen. It was renamed the Hokitika in 1872 by William Rough, after a barque that was wrecked on 2 November 1872. Known as Keenís Family Hotel after Edward Keen became its publican in 1887, the hotel was renamed the Earl of Hopetoun by Miss E Kavanagh in 1894, and then the Whittington Tavern by Mrs F Hills in 1897, a name it retained until de-licensing occurred on 18 April 1913.
 

PDF Version