Victoria Hotel/ Hotel Victoria 1888 - 2000

123 Beaconsfield Parade, corner Kerferd Road, Albert Park
MEL: 2J J10

 

Mary McGregor opened South Melbourneís grandest hotel in its heyday, the Victoria Hotel, designed by Richard Speight, in 1888.She and her husband were well-known city hoteliers, and although elderly, she remained active and embarked on the project of this seaside resort hotel in her widowhood.Two years after her retirement in 1912, she died, bequeathing much of her estate to form a charitable trust to donate money to the Melbourne Hospital, the St. Vincentís Hospital and the Benevolent Asylum.

It is one of a few remaining examples of the recreational activities that centred on this area in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The Beaconsfield Parade beachfront area was a popular health and pleasure resort.With the construction of the long awaited Kerferd Road Pier in 1887 came the establishment of sea baths, and McGregor cleverly capitalised on their popularity by building the Victoria directly opposite the pier.The opening of the Victoria Avenue tramline in 1890 boosted the tourism potential of the area significantly.The very large three storeyed-rendered hotel is architecturally notable, particularly for its elaborate corner tower capped by an octagonal belvedere with a truncated spire roof that was demolished in the 1950s and rebuilt in the 1970s. In April 1998, the National Trust registered the Victoria Hotel at state level.

 

Victoria Hotel as viewed from the Kerferd Road Pier, pre-1905 post card

Victoria Hotel, 1981

PDF Version