Union Hotel 1861 - 1920

208 Moray Street, corner Union Place, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K E2

Patrick Ward, who later joined the founding committee of the South Melbourne Permanent Building and Investment Society in 1875, established the Union Hotel in 1861. Henry James Regan, publican from 1898 until 1914, planned an ‘extended holiday’ before taking over the Southern Cross Hotel in Cecil Street. The Licenses Reduction Board decided the hotel’s fate on 17 June 1920, and the Union closed later that year. In 2003, it is a private residence and home business.

PDF Version