Rees’ Hotel, later Star Hotel 1865 - 1948

NW 221 High Street (now known as St Kilda Road) corner Argyle Street, St Kilda
MEL: 58 C9

Named for its first licensees Harriett and Frederick Rees, this hotel was established in 1865.  In 1868, William Killick, known throughout St Kilda as Billy the Bus Boy, (see Star and Garter Hotel), since he formerly drove Mooney’s horse-drawn omnibus, took over the lease, changing its name to the Star Hotel in 1869. While the Star Hotel was still licensed in 1940, it was converted to housing by 1948.  This section of High Street was demolished in order to widen the thoroughfare between St Kilda Junction and Brighton Road.


PDF Version