Orient Hotel, formerly Green Man Hotel, Nugget Hotel, Albion Hotel and Garfield Hotel 1870 - 1913

Clarendon Street, corner Alfred Place, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K C1

Formerly a produce store managed by John M Hill, a license for the two-bedroom wood house with bath and plasters divisions, was granted to George Bottriel in 1870. Named the Green Man Hotel, an auction of the hotel took place on 18 January 1873. That year architect Charles Boykett called for tenders for alterations and additions to the hotel. Vacant, briefly, in 1874, it was renamed the Nugget Hotel by licensee Mrs E Adam in 1876, but its original name was restored by Mrs Cowlson in 1881. The following year William Riggs changed its name to the Albion; in 1885, it became the Garfield Hotel, and in 1891 it was renamed the Orient a name that would remain until it was de-licensed on 31 December 1913.

 

PDF Version