355 Park Street, corner Montague Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K A4
Montague Hotel, 2002
The Montague Hotel was named for its original address,
Street. The first meeting of the South Melbourne
Gymnastics Club was held at the Montague in April 1883. The hotel was
extensively modernised in1927 for the owner Mrs M E Mooney by the architect
Harry R Johnson (1892-1954).Long-time
punter and South Melbourne identity Robert Stephenson
still remembers publican ‘Ma’ Corley sitting with a bucket behind the counter,
so disinclined was she to leave her post lest someone steal her beer!
An attempt to make the hotel exclusive only to
members with keys in the 1990s was unsuccessful. The Annual General Meeting of
the Town and Country Planning Association was held at the hotel on 12 March 2002.