Mile End Gate Hotel, formerly Coventry Hotel, Ballarat Arms Hotel, Prince George Hotel, Mack’s Tavern Hotel, Three Crowns Tavern, and Prince George Hotel 1865 – 1908

270 Coventry Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K C1

Stephen Benyon established the Coventry Hotel in 1865, at the corner of Little York Street, which has since been built over. After undergoing seven name changes in practically as many years, it became the Mile End Gate Hotel in 1878. This hotel was de-licensed on 31 December 1908. In 2003, it is the site of a vacant shop, Sergio M Macchia Jeweller and Designer, and Sia Clothing Shop. While the ground level has been modernised, it appears that the first floor has retained the original balustrade.

PDF Version