Medic Hotel, formerly Holder’s Hotel, Whaler’s Return Hotel and Star of the South Hotel 1869 - 1908

109-111 York Street, South Melbourne
MEL 2K C1

James Holder established holder’s Hotel in 1869. It was renamed Whaler’s Return by W Cockbill in 1872. Architect John Box designed brick additions to the hotel in 1885. A year later, the hotel was renamed the Star of the South by Charlotte M Carter, and ultimately the Medic, after the ship that took soldiers to the Boer War, by Ellen Fulham in 1901. It was amongst thirteen hotels closed by the Licenses Reduction Board in 1908 and de-licensed on 31 December of that year.
 

PDF Version