Junction Hotel, later Grand Junction Hotel 1853 – 1973

1-3 High Street (now known as St Kilda Road) and corner of Barkly Streets, St Kilda
MEL: 58 B8



Junction Hotel, c.1873



St Kilda Junction with the Grand Junction Hotel, pre-1914 postcard


One of the earliest hotels in St Kilda, the Junction was originally built of brick and stone, and consisted of twenty stalls in its stables, as well as a harness and ostler’s room.  Its first licensee was Michael O’Shea between 1853 and 1862.  Architect Joseph R Burns called for tenders for alterations and additions in 1854.

The St Kilda Municipal Council, under the presidency of Benjamin Cowderoy, held its first meeting in a room beside the Junction Hotel on 9 March 1857. Connected to the hotel was a concert room, which was frequently hired by both professional and amateur entertainers.

George Sparrow, the licensee from 1862, changed its name to the Grand Junction before transferring to Sparrow’s Hotel on the corner of Fitzroy and Barkly Streets in 1864. William Johnston Sugden was the licensee between 1864 and 1869.  Anthony William Wright, son of the late William Wright of Deep Creek, Bulla, was buried from the Junction Hotel on 1 December 1866. Louisa Sugden, the publican’s wife was buried from there on 29 December 1868.  Joseph Hyndman, who held the license from 1869, was sued by his wife Martha for maintenance and assault and was forced to pay her 25/- a week and a 40/- fine. James Wood redesigned the hotel in 1888.  In 1917, then publican, N Splatt requested a rate rebate because of the post-war decline in business.

By 1929, architects Gillespie and Latimer had designed an additional saloon bar on Barkly Street and a bottle shop and lounge on High Street. An application was made that year to the council for further renovations including the addition of a sign on the front of the building for advertising space and a building erected on an adjoining vacant block of land.

The Junction was famous for always flying the St Kilda flag high when the St Kilda football team won and at half-mast when it lost.

The hotel was ultimately demolished in 1973 following a 1970 decision to widen High Street, between the Junction and Carlisle Street.  The bulldozers that ran through its main bar, once lined with photos of local sporting heroes, ended an era in St Kilda.


Junction Hotel, 1890



 Bird's Eye View from Tower of Junction Hotel, c.1890



Grand Junction Hotel and St Kilda Junction, 1930s



PDF Version