Foundary Hotel, formerly United Services Hotel 1872 - 1908

Moray Street, corner Catherine Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2F D10

Mrs Collins founded the United Services Hotel in 1872. Built on an allotment with three brick cottages, it had blue stone foundations and a slate roof and comprised ten rooms. Edward Polack renamed the Foundary Hotel in 1883 and architects Ravenscroft and Freeman called for tenders for removal and rebuilding in 1889. Architect James Wood designed additions in 1892. It was amongst thirteen hotels de-licensed by the Licensing Reductions Board in 1908 and was closed on 31 December of that year.

PDF Version