Exchange Hotel 1865 1886

Hotel Corner High (now known as St Kilda Road) and Vale Streets, St Kilda
MEL: 58 C10

Henry Thresher opened this hotel in 1865; however, it was vacant in 1869. The colourful moniker of Henry Billyhead applied to license six rooms on 9 July of that year, yet despite his best efforts, and a succession of licensees, the Exchange was no longer trading by 1886.  This section of High Street (now known as St Kilda Road) was demolished in order to widen the thoroughfare between St Kilda Junction and Brighton Road.


PDF Version