Corner Hotel, formerly Sparrow’s Hotel, and Rolland’s Hotel 1864 - 1967

239 Fitzroy Street, corner Barkly Street (the Junction), St Kilda
MEL: 58 B8



St Kilda Junction with Sparrow's Hotel at right, 1873


This hotel was first named for its original licensee George Sparrow in 1864. The hotels second licensee, Henry Young junior, was fined 10/- on 29 July 1870 for selling liquor on a Sunday.  On 17 January 1874, he was fined ₤3.0s.0d with ₤1.0s.0d for Sunday trading.  In 1875, Felix Rolland renamed it Rolland’s Hotel.  In 1879, Arnold H Somner changed its name to the Corner Hotel.

Council approval was sought to erect a signboard on top of the billiard room of the Corner for advertising purposes on 24 October 1912.  An amendment was later made to specify that the board would advertise ‘Buchanan’s Black and White Whisky’.  The Corner Hotel closed in 1967. The corner of Fitzroy Street and Barkly Street no longer exists since the reconstruction of St Kilda Junction in the early 1970s.




Corner Hotel, late 19th Century




PDF Version