Club Hotel (closed)

1 Fitzroy St, corner The Esplanade, St Kilda
MEL: 57 K9


Originally, three houses grouped sufficiently close to one another to enable the amalgamation via their verandahs, (the third of which possibly belonged to James Ross Lawrence, Captain of the schooner Lady of St Kilda, for which the area is named).
The Club Hotel was destroyed by fire at the end of 1859 under unusual circumstances. Aba Manaski, a Russian friend of licensee Albert Edelman, was suspected of setting the fire to avenge a threat Edelman made regarding Manaskiís conduct towards the publicanís wife. After a coronerís jury found that the hotel was deliberately and wilfully lit, the communityís concern led the St Kilda Council to pass a resolution to have a fire engine located in the district. In 2003, it is the site of the restaurant Number One Fitzroy Street.

 

PDF Version