Clarendon Lounge Bar, formerly Albion Hotel, Glasgow Arms Hotel, Federal Hotel, Clarendon Hotel and Intrepid Fox Hotel 1861 -

209 Clarendon Street, corner York Street, South Melbourne
MEL: 2K C1



Clarendon Hotel, 1981

 

Charles Chessell established the Albion Hotel in 1861. Renamed the Glasgow Arms in 1866, in 1889 it was rebuilt to the design of prominent Melbourne architect William Pitt, well known for his role in designing the Princess Theatre and the Olderfleet and Rialto Buildings. The Glasgow Arms became the Federal Hotel in 1913.
One of the most substantial hotels in the area prominently located on the uphill corner of Clarendon and Market Streets, its architecture reflects its late Victorian date of construction. With three storeys clad in render, its two main facades are embellished and feature highly decorated windows.
It was known as the Clarendon Hotel for much of his existence, then renamed the Intrepid Fox, yet maintained the same style as the Clarendon a seven-day-a-week venue with a central bar, a bottle shop and pub meals.
In 2001, it was bought by a division of Lion Nathan Australia, and was converted into the Clarendon Lounge Bar. After a million-dollar refurbishment, not much of the original interior has remained, yet there are apparently two ghosts haunting the premises. The first is that of an elderly gentleman who passed away on the second floor - footsteps and knocking are audible in a nearby function room, which is always bitterly cold. The other ghost, reputed to be that of a former proprietor of the hotel in the 1920s or 1930s, is a middle-aged man who carries a pointer and inhabits the ground floor.
 





Clarendon Lounge Bar, 2004

PDF Version