Castlemaine Hotel, formerly Commercial Hotel 1882 - 1958

Queensbridge Street, corner City Road, South Melbourne; now part of junction between City Road, Moray and Queensbridge Streets
MEL: 2F D10

John Phillipson founded the Commercial Hotel in 1882. The following year, Phillipson would go on to open the Trades Hotel in City Road. It was situated opposite the Castlemaine Brewery, which was on the western side of Queensbridge Street, in 1901, and next door to its bottling store. The Castlemaine Hotel was de-licensed on 7 March 1958 and then demolished to widen the intersection under the Kings Way overpass.


PDF Version